Wednesday, March 09, 2005

If Music Be the Food of Love...

So maybe you got the idea from my first post that I am a little bit nuts with the music thing. It's true. Since I am just learning how to work this thing, I thought I would start with a wee discussion of some of the music that makes my world go 'round.

I already tipped my hat a bit with my first post, which betrayed my deep and psychotic love of all things realted to the Finn Brothers, Tim and Neil - Kiwi rock and roll gods who maintain a small-ish but rabidly devoted fan base in the US. Check out www.frenz.com to get a nice idea of the brother's musical history. Try them, too, in their previous incarnations - Split Enz and Crowded House - or sample their solo work. They are two huge talents who, when they join forces, really are greater than the sum of their parts. Which is saying something. Unfortunately for most of you, the Brothers have just completed their most recent round of US dates, but keep your ears peeled. I have a feeling they will be back.

I'd like to also promote the work of another under-appreciated musical genius who is certainly cut from the same cloth as the Finns - Glenn Tilbrook, formerly of Squeeze. He has put out two brilliant solo records in the last few years, and he has been touring furiously in the UK and US. He will be back in Philly on April 11, 2005, at World Cafe Live. I highly recommend that you check him out if you can. He plays with great skill, humor and ebuliance, and he happens to be one of the great songwriters of all time.

This has been a big year so far for another of my favorite artists, the ubiquitous U2. They certainly don't need any help from me in the P.R. department, but I do want to take this opportunity to say that even though I certainly have mixed feelings about their inflated ticket prices and their botched internet pre-sales, I still feel like they are extremely generous and gifted live performers. And their latest record really is as good as all the hype, as long as you skip track 7, a peculiar anthem in these days of proposed Federal Marriage Amendments. I do not, however, think that Bono should be the next head of the World Bank. No disrespect, but last time I checked, he already has a job. Perhaps more on the B-man's political shennigans at another time...

Lastly, a quick nod to the mighty Bruce Springsteen. I am anxiously awaiting his new, "quiet" record, which is to be followed by a small-scale tour. This is a real thrill for me. I am looking forward to a more intimate show from Bruce, even though he commands a massive stadium crowd like no one else. A few years ago, Mike and I had the incredible good fortune of being just a few hundred feet from Bruce on stage at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park, NJ, when he hopped up to join E-Streeter Nils Lofgren for a few tunes, and when you get that close to his magic, you realize what a singular talent he really is.

I think that covers all the major musical bases for now. Happy listening...

2 Comments:

At 10:27 PM, Blogger MPomy said...

Such love for music - how can you not get sucked in?

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't know many of the musicians you mentioned - BUT I DO LOVE Bruce Springsteen!! Would love to go to one of his concerts!! He is a genius.
Who can live without music?? Have you ever watched Ellen DeGeneris?? What a music lover she is - and she has a wonderful talk show.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home