Tuesday, March 22, 2005

And While You're At It, Pray for Our Democracy

The relentless barrage of media coverage of the Terri Schiavo case has left me feeling fairly nauseous. But what distresses me even more is the intervention of Congress and the President in this human tragedy, the outcome of which - for better or for worse - is appropriately controlled by state law. I know it's been awhile since I graduated from law school, and much, much longer since middle school civics, but as far as I can recall, there are principles like separation of powers and state sovereignty that seem to have been completely tossed out the window by Republican ideaologues. I have been thinking about this situation for days, trying to formulate a coherent point of view. And I think what it boils down to for me is the hypocrisy and outrageous rhetoric of the right, the lawmakers and pundits who claim that Terri Schiavo has been tried, convicted and sentenced to death, while having committed no crime. Well, I don't think they would say the same thing when asked to contemplate a moratorium on the REAL death penalty - the ultimate punishment which has been handed out to more than a few people who have REALLY been charged with and convicted of crimes they did not commit.

As Mike pointed out last night, W. didn't bother to interrupt his Christmas break to respond to the Tsunami disaster, nor did he hurry back to Washington after 9/11. But apparently the political points to be gained from bowing to the pressures of religious conservatives on this issues were just too tempting for him to resist. Way to show your true colors, W.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home