Tuesday, December 20, 2005

R.I.P., John Spencer


Yesterday was one of those strange days where I found myself feeling cranky and a bit hormonal, for no apparent reason. I met up with my dear hubby for a cup of tea and a blustery stroll around town late in the afternoon, and my little heart just sank when he told me of the passing of John Spencer, who we affectionately referred to as "Uncle Leo," referring to his wonderful character from "The West Wing" (to which we were religiously devoted for several years, but have long since abandoned.) This wonderful actor had a great impact on us; we would often imitate the way he would bellow "Mar-GRET!" to his faithful assistant. During its prime, "The West Wing" was incredible television - intelligent, snappy, passionate, educational and filled with civics lessons that would always get to me in a very fundamental way. John Spencer was such a huge part of what made the show special. His passing seems like such a terrible waste.

A few Christmases ago, as I was strolling up Broadway by the Fairway on the Upper West Side, I did a massive double-take when I passed someone who I was convinced was John Spencer. When I got back to my sister's place, I told Mike, "I SAW UNCLE LEO!" Maybe it wasn't him - maybe it was someone who just bore an uncanny resemblance to him. But I doubt it. That guy was just too unique, one of a kind, really. May he rest in peace.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home